Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hold me closer, Tiny Dancer...

You turned my wailing into dancing; You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy! Psalm 30:11

All my life, I have wanted to dance.

Actually, 'want' is a understatement. I have longed to dance. I'm actually lame enough to admit that while watching SYTYCD, my muscles twitch with yearning. I watch with envy, my body silently wishing it could do the same. The idea of a thought, feeling or even just music, moving someone so deeply internally that it becomes an outward expression of beautiful movement is fascinating to me. 



Recently, I have been reading 'When Wallflowers Dance' by Angela Thomas. If any woman hasn't read this book, I highly recommend it. She is also the author of 'Do You Think I'm Beautiful?', another life-changing read. In this book, Angela addresses how as little girls, we unashamedly twirled around in frilly skirts knowing we were worth partnering. Somehow, over the years, that innocence and confidence is torn away from us and we wind up sitting in the bleachers, wishing we could muster up the courage to twirl again. In the midst of our wallflower invisibility, our Savior sees us from across the room. He locks eyes with us and makes His way toward us, never dropping His gaze. He gracefully lifts us to our feet and affectionately places His hand in ours, giving us the strength to dance again. 

It made me realize how much of my internal longing for a dance with my Savior reflected my outward need to move my feet. I think it is safe to say that dancing is truly a desire of my heart, and God is always faithful in giving His children the desires of their hearts. God definitely works in mysterious ways and his humor is truly impeccable. I smile, knowing that God delights in the joy He brings me just as I delight in Him. 

Last Monday I was approached by my ballroom instructor and was asked if I ever considered learning to professionally dance and teach it. (Yeah, right). Little did this man know, he was speaking directly to one of the most hidden parts of my soul. I said, I had never considered it but the opportunity to try would be fantastic. (Trying to conceal my heart's resounding "YEEEEEEEES!!!!") So, I interviewed yesterday and as of tomorrow I will be training to be a ballroom dancer/instructor! 

Although to most, this is probably the most ridiculous of ambitions and maybe I'm silly for running in the direction of absolutely nothing I've ever studied for; but I believe that this is truly an orchestrated opportunity and I never turn down an offer to dance. : )

Taylor






4 comments:

  1. How awesome*******We support you in accepting the opportunity that God has given you to seek out another Desire of Your Heart. We love you and always look forward in seeing what another day brings in your life. Love you much,
    grandma and papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this post after writing two posts on my blog about missing dance. Nothing is a coincidence, and I just really loved the analogy you gave about how God recognizes us when we are most vulnerable, invisible and self-conscience. He hears our deepest desires and fears and is always right there to get us going. Congratulations with your new ballroom dancing endeavor! Where are you studying?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! : ) I am absolutely obsessed with your blog, you are truly sunshine! I am learning to teach at "Dance Makers" in the city where my classroom instructors are from. We'll see where it goes ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome. And thank you...I'm glad you enjoy it! Keep the posts coming, you have great things to share!

    ReplyDelete